[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:20:52 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> PyCon, and the Python Language Summit, is nearly upon us. We have a good
> number of people confirmed to attend. If you are intending to come to the
> language summit but haven't let me know please do so.
>
> The agenda of topics for discussion so far includes the following:
>
> * A report on pypy status - Maciej and Armin
> * Jython and IronPython status reports - Dino / Frank
> * Packaging (Doug Hellmann and Monty Taylor at least)
> * Cleaning up interpreter initialisation (both in hopes of finding areas
>   to rationalise and hence speed things up, as well as making things
>   more embedding friendly). Nick Coghlan
> * Adding new async capabilities to the standard library (Guido)
> * cffi and the standard library - Maciej
> * flufl.enum and the standard library - Barry Warsaw
> * The argument clinic - Larry Hastings
>
> If you have other items you'd like to discuss please let me know and I can
> add them to the agenda.

I won't be able to visit, so this PyCon promises to be all good nice and
relaxing for everybody. =)
But here is some things that can spice up the meeting in case it becomes
boring.

* poor introspection capabilities
  * if you pause the code - what kind of data you'd like to be available?
  * magical locals() dict that breaks the rules
  * execution frames that lose information present in original source
    (such as function vs method and probably others)
  * as an exercise - try to build a scroller for a running Python script
    * it is impossible for Python 2 and probably for Python 3 as well

* visibility issues with language development
  * physically split the information flow about work being done on
interpreter and stdlib
  * split the information about stdlib development by modules
    * describe modules composing in stdlib in formal way
      https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/python-stdlib
  * build a roadmap by module (join personal wishlist from involved people)
  * external people can not join teams dedicated only to several modules
people are interested in

* IPython and PyPy as a distraction for people who could improve core
language and stdlib here

* security by obscurity in legal position of PSF towards contributors
  https://code.google.com/legal/individual-cla-v1.0.html
   vs
  http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/ +
http://www.samurajdata.se/opensource/mirror/licenses/afl-2.1.php
      or
  http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/ +
http://opensource.org/licenses/apache2.0.php
   and why PSF doesn't comply the 4. Redistribution clause from Apache 2.0
license

* how to get more pictures and less text for reference, especially for
internals
* user story approach for writing PEPs

Can only wish to have a constructive PyCon with great results.
Bye.
--
anatoly t.