[Python-Dev] PEPs in progress

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Wed Jan 2 07:14:58 CET 2013

Good morning and happy new year!

I would like to let you know that I'm working on two new PEPs.

The first PEP addresses hash collision attacks as discussed in
http://bugs.python.org/issue14621. I'm planing to make the internal
string and bytes hash function more secure, pluggable and even faster.
DJB's SipHash is part of the plan as well. Users will be able to choose
an algorithm on startup and embedders will be able to provide their own
hash function, too.

The second PEP addresses key derivation functions for secure password
hashing. I like to add PBKDF2, bcrypt and scrypt facilities to the
standard library.

Regards,
Christian