[Python-Dev] PEPs in progress

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Wed Jan 2 11:06:07 CET 2013

Am 02.01.2013 10:49, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> Le Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:18:17 +0100,
> Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> a écrit :
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Christian Heimes
>> <christian at python.org> wrote:
>>> The second PEP addresses key derivation functions for secure
>>> password hashing. I like to add PBKDF2, bcrypt and scrypt
>>> facilities to the standard library.
>>
>> Hashing only? I was hoping you would also include PKCS1 RSA
>> primitives.
>
> That's a totally different topic, no?

Yeah, these are totally different topics. PKCS #1 is about RSA
encryption, decryption, verification and padding. PBKDF2 is specified in
PKCS #5 v2.0.

PKCS #1 support should be implemented on top of OpenSSL or NaCl. I'm
planing to use OpenSSL as primary implementation and additional code as
fallback implementation of PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-1, PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-256 and
PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-512.

Christian