[Python-Dev] fork or exec?

Charles-François Natali cf.natali at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:44:36 CET 2013

> *Lots* of applications make use of POSIX semantics for fork() / exec().

This doesn't mean much. We're talking about inheritance of FDs > 2
upon exec, which is a very limited subset of "POSIX semantics for
fork() / exec()".

I personally think that there's been enough feedback to show that we
should stick with the default POSIX behavior, however broken it is...

> Can someone please point to a writeop of the security issues involved?

I've posted sample codes earlier in this thread, but here's a writeup
by Ulrich Drepper:
http://udrepper.livejournal.com/20407.html