[Python-Dev] FreeBSD-9.0 bot running --without-doc-strings

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 16:07:14 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:55:12 +0100
> Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've subverted the build master authority on the FreeBSD-9.0 bot by
>> exporting with_doc_strings=no. This is to test #16143 and #10156.
>
> Well... Speaking personally, I'd much rather stop shipping and
> "supporting" such obscure build options. I'd like to hear about people
> using production Pythons --without-doc-strings.

I was going to suggest that folks like the PyMite developers might use
it to create versions that run in severely constrained environments,
but it looks like they wrote their interpreter from scratch instead.

On the other hand, I've definitely heard at least a few people talking
about using -OO to drop docstrings as a technique to reduce memory
consumption. Some of these failures would likely show up there as
well.

Cheers,
Nick.