[Python-Dev] Boost Software License

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Jan 28 10:44:16 CET 2013

Le Sun, 27 Jan 2013 21:30:23 +0100,
Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> a écrit :
> Serhiy Storchaka, 27.01.2013 17:52:
> > Is Boost Software License [1] compatible with Python license? Can I
> > steal some code from Boost library [2]?
> >
> > [1] http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt
> > [2] http://www.boost.org/
>
> Depends on what you want to do with it after stealing it.
>
> Assuming you want to add it to CPython, two things to consider:
>
> - Isn't Boost C++ code?
>
> - Usually, people who contribute code to CPython must sign a
> contributors agreement. As far as I understand it, that would be
> those who wrote it, not those who "stole" it from them.

That's the only potentially contentious point.
Otherwise, the boost license looks like a fairly ordinary non-copyleft
free license, and therefore should be compatible with the PSF license.

That said, we already ship "non-contributed" code such as zlib, expat
or libffi; and even in the core you can find such code such as David
Gay's dtoa.c.

Regards

Antoine.