[Python-Dev] PEP 433: Choose the default value of the new cloexec parameter

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Jan 29 08:12:21 CET 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 01:17:35 +0100
Ralf Schmitt <ralf at systemexit.de> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> >> Right. But why make it configurable at runtime then? If you're changing
> >> the value, then you're the one probably breaking third party code.
> >
> > Sigh. This is getting exasperating. There's other code that might want to
> > change this besides 3rd party library code. E.g. app configuration code.
>
> So, third party library code should know better, while at the same time
> it's fine to mess with global settings from app configuration code.

Yes, it's fine, because an application developer can often control (or
at least study) the behaviour of all the code involved.

It's the same story as with logging configuration and similar
process-wide settings. Libraries shouldn't mess with it but the
top-level application definitely can (and should, even).

(and if you think many third-party libraries call fork()+exec() as part
as their normal duty, then I've got a bridge to sell you)

Regards

Antoine.