[Python-Dev] End of the mystery "@README.txt Mercurial bug"

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Jul 2 00:06:37 CEST 2013

Am 01.07.2013 23:05, schrieb Victor Stinner:
> Hi Georg,
>
> 2013/7/1 Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net>:

>>> In my opinion, make distclean should only remove files generated by
>>> configure and a build. It should not remove random files.
>>>
>>> *~, .orig, .rej, .back should be kept. They are not generated by
>>> configure nor make.
>>
>> I think you want "make clean" then.
>
> I don't understand why you are suggesting me to use "make clean". I
> would like to start a fresh build, so remove configure and Makefile,
> but I also want to keep my local changes and local files not tracked
> by Mercurial. I need this when the build does not work because a new
> file was added or a build script was modified. "make clean" does not
> change anything for this use case.

Right, I had wrongly remembered that "clean" also removed the Makefile.

Note that to add to the confusion, there's an additional target
named "clobber" (which is called by distclean).  Both "clobber" and
"distclean" remove Python generated and potentially user generated files.

IMO things could be rearranged without too much effort so that "distclean"
only removes Python-build-generated files, whereas "clobber" removes also
user generated files.  But please don't introduce yet another target.

Georg