[Python-Dev] PEP 446: Add new parameters to configure the inherance of files and for non-blocking sockets

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 13:13:06 CEST 2013

> PEP: 446
> Title: Add new parameters to configure the inherance of files and for
> non-blocking sockets
> (...)
> Rejected Alternatives
> =====================
>
> PEP 433
> -------
>
> The PEP 433 entitled "Easier suppression of file descriptor inheritance"
> is a previous attempt proposing various other alternatives, but no
> consensus could be reached.
>
> This PEP has a well defined behaviour (the default value of the new
> *cloexec* parameter is not configurable), is more conservative (no
> backward compatibility issue), and is much simpler.

Even if the PEP 433 was not explicitly rejected, no consensus could be
reached. I didn't want to loose all my work on this PEP and so I'm
proposing something new which should make everbody agrees :-)

The PEP 446 is written to supersed the PEP 433. Even if they are very
close, many drawbacks of the PEP 433 (especially the configurable
default value of the new cloexec parameter) goes away with the PEP
466, which explains why the PEP 466 is much shorter. I preferred to
create a new PEP to keep the historic in the PEP 433. I also chose to
not detail the implementation in the PEP 466, because the PEP 433
already contains a lot of information.

Victor