[Python-Dev] Rough idea for adding introspection information for builtins

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 00:59:03 CEST 2013

Since it's relevant: my recollection us that the current use of angle
brackets in inspect.Signature is just the default use of them for "there is
no canonical representation of this, but leaving them out would be
misleading" (I haven't checked if the PEP says that explicitly).

I previously forgot Larry, Guido & I discussed the appropriate use of
square brackets and the slash in the definition format at PyCon, so I now
think having the Argument Clinic PEP also cover their appropriate use in
the inspect.Signature string output is a good idea.

Cheers,
Nick.