[Python-Dev] Building a Faster Python

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon Jul 22 03:01:29 CEST 2013

On 07/21/2013 04:36 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> Our current Mac OS X builds use GCC-4.2.
>
> On Python2.7, I ran a comparison of gcc-4.2.1 builds
> versus gcc-4.8.1 and found that the latter makes a much
> faster Python.  PyBench2.0 shows the total running time
> dropping from 5653ms to 4571ms.  The code is uniformly
> better in just about every category.

I know that newer Microsoft compilers tend to drop support for older
operating systems, and often that means the binaries simply won't work
on those operating systems.  (Yes, technically it's the libraries that
break the older code.)

Are Apple's compilers the same?  Or do they tend to support all the old
versions of OS X?

//arry/