[Python-Dev] Daemon creation code in the standard library

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Jul 26 09:38:10 CEST 2013

On 25 Jul, 2013, at 4:18, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
>> Work continues on the PEP 3143-compatible ‘python-daemon’, porting it to
>> Python 3 and aiming for inclusion in the standard library.

At first glance the library appears to close all open files, with an option
to exclude some specific file descriptors (that is, you need to pass a list
of files that shouldn't be closed).

That makes it a lot harder to do some initialization before daemonizing.
I prefer to perform at least some initialization early in program startup to
be able to give sensible error messages. I've had too many initscripts that
claimed to have started a daemon sucessfully, only to have that daemon stop
right away because it noticed a problem right after it detached itself.

Ronald