[Python-Dev] Official github mirror for CPython?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 12:51:16 CEST 2013

On 26 July 2013 18:14, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:03:26 +0200,
> Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> a écrit :
>> >
>> > By "freely available", do you mean actual open source / free
>> > software?
>>
>> It seems to be licensed under the GPLv3.
>>
>> https://secure.rhodecode.org/rhodecode/files/433d6385b216da52f68fa871ed1ff99f8d618613/COPYING
>> https://rhodecode.com/blog/25/new-rhodecode-licensing
>
> Ah, right. Apparently a certain @ncoghlan_dev contributed to that...

Yeah, I've been publicly lamenting the closed source nature of GitHub
and BitBucket for a while now, dislike the Allura UI enough that "but
it's open source!" wasn't enough to win me over, and most of the other
free hosting options don't support Mercurial (or have anything
resembling a coherent business model). When RhodeCode brought their
hosted version to my attention, it aligned so well with what I had
been saying I wanted (a code hosting service making a genuine
commitment to openness, with a good user experience and an apparently
viable business model) that I felt *obliged* to check it out. While I
haven't migrated all my personal repos yet (due to some domain name
issues specific to the Hosted version), I was quite happy with the
user experience of the tool itself and plan to do that migration
eventually :)

As far as the licensing goes, rereading the comments below the
licensing announcement as well as the licenses themselves:

1. Versions prior to 2.0 (latest: 1.7.1) are already published under GPLv3
2. RhodeCode 2.0 (aka "RhodeCode Enterprise") will be the first
published using a Business Source license
3. The Business Source licensing means that 2.0 *will* become open
source under "GPLv2 or later" terms in August 2015 - RhodeCode won't
have the option of changing their mind and deciding not to open source
it after all. For the next two years, even though the source will be
made available, it's not technically an open source project yet, since
free usage under the business source license is limited to
installations with no more than 20 Active users. More users than that
requires a commercial license, which you either pay for, or is offered
for free to schools and universities, public open source projects and
also for development, environment and human rights NGOs.

I believe Hosted is already running 2.0, so that's the one that
impressed me. I'm not sure what 1.7.1 is like, since I have never used
it :)

Cheers,
Nick.