[Python-Dev] PEP 446: Open issues/questions

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:24:42 CEST 2013

2013/7/28 Charles-François Natali <cf.natali at gmail.com>:
> Also, it'll be puzzling to have syscalls automatically set the cloexec
> flag. I guess a lot of people doing system programming with Python
> will get bitten, but that's a discussion we already had months ago...

The inheritance of file descriptors (and Windows handles) is discussed
since january 2013. Thanks to all exchanges on python-dev, we now know well
the perimeter of such changes. Each option has been discussed, and
advantages and drawbacks of each option were listed.

Going against the POSIX standard (clear inheritable flag when creating a
fd) is a drawback, but it's less important than issues fixed by such change
(don't "leak" fd or handle to child processes which fixes many other
issues).

Victor