[Python-Dev] to rename or not...

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Jul 31 12:52:25 CEST 2013

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:39:10 +1200, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> > * Add 'load', 'loads', 'dump' and 'dumps', those use "bytes" for binary data
> > by default
> >
> > * Keep and deprecate "readPlist", "writePlist" and the their string
> > equivalents, those still use Data objects
>
> +1, makes sense to me.

Yes, +1.  Presumably the plistlib module was "ported" to py3k just enough
to make it pass its tests, without reconsidering the design (and API) the
way you have now done.  So I think it is appropriate to do so.  But, then,
I would, considering I'm doing the same thing to the email module for
much the same reason :).

--David