[Python-Dev] C code coverage report with lcov

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jul 31 15:37:04 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org>wrote:

> Am 29.07.2013 21:48, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> > Ideally, we should run coverage runs on different systems (Unices,
> > Windows...) and merge the results together, so that we know which paths
> > are really uncovered.
>
> I don't that is easily possible. The coverage report depends on GCC and
> its gcov extension -- so much for Windows. I also don't know if gcov
> supports cross-profiling on varying platforms and operating systems.
>
> By the way gcov understands preprocessor output. It doesn't report lines
> as uncovered when the lines or functions are #ifdef-ed out.

In case are curious to try and make this work using clang, I found the
flags to use at
http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/Code-coverage-on-clang-td4033066.html
and
how to make it work with lcov. I also discovered clang itself uses
https://github.com/ddunbar/zcov instead of lcov. This is all untested, but
I didn't want to forget the links and in case someone has clang installed
with compiler-rt and wants to see how it works.