[Python-Dev] Putting the Mac Build in the Apple App Store

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jun 4 12:15:38 CEST 2013

On 4 Jun, 2013, at 6:44, Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know what we would need to do to get Python in the Apple application store as a free App?
>
> The default security settings on OS X 10.8 block the installation of the DMG (or any software downloaded outside the app store).   A number of my students are having difficulty getting around it will help.
>
> If we were in the app store, installation and upgrade would be a piece of cake.

A problem with the app store is that the Python installation should then be an app (for example IDLE.app), and that the application must be sandboxed. The latter is showstopper, as scripts run with the interpreter would be sandboxed as well and hence couldn't access most of the system.

A better solution for the problem with OSX 10.8's security settings it sign the installer with a developer ID. It can then be opened by double clicking because the app is provided by an "identified developer".  A problem with signing the installer is that this requires changes to the installer, we're currently using an ancient installer format that cannot be signed. That should be changed some time in the future anyway and signing the installer could be a good reason to work on that.

BTW. There is a workaround that makes it possible to install without signing the installer: right-click on the installer and select "open" (instead of double clicking the installer). The system will then give a scary warning, but will allow installation anyway.

Ronald