[Python-Dev] doctest and pickle

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sat Jun 8 10:47:35 CEST 2013

On 06/08/2013 01:07 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> 08.06.13 10:03, Ethan Furman написав(ла):
>> Indeed, and it is already in several different ways.  But it would be
>> nice to have a pickle example in the docs that worked with doctest.
>>
>> I ended up doing what Barry did:
>>
>>      >>> from test.test_enum import Fruit
>>      >>> from pickle import dumps, loads
>>      >>> Fruit.tomato is loads(dumps(Fruit.tomato))
>>      True
>
> I think that the documentation is there for people.

I agree.

>If you need tests, add them separately,

I have.

> but the documentation should be clear and understandable.

And the example code should be testable.

> In this case it is better to exclude a code example from doctests or
> add auxiliary code (i.e. as Steven suggested) to pass the doctest.

Are you saying there is something wrong about what I have in place now?  I would think that one line showing something
you might actually do (importing an Enum from another module) is better than two lines showing esoteric workarounds
(importing __main__ and setting an attribute on it).

Apologies if I sound gruff -- it's way past my bedtime.  In fact, I'll think I'll go sleep now.  :)

--
~Ethan~