[Python-Dev] Doubly linked lists in Python core?

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 21:38:47 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 12:14 -0700, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2013/6/11 Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com>:
> > I encountered this disconcerting message yesterday on a Linux system
> > running Python 2.7.2:
> >
> > *** glibc detected *** /opt/local/bin/python: corrupted double-linked
> > list: 0x0000000003b01c90 ***
>
> I suspect that's a corrupt linked list interal to glibc.

Yes: almost certainly the one inside glibc's implementation of malloc.

Somewhere in the process you have a double-free, or a buffer overrun
that's splatting the links that live in memory between the allocated
bufffers.

You may want to try running the process under valgrind.

Hope this is helpful
Dave