[Python-Dev] Backports galore

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 12:32:02 CEST 2013

On 16 June 2013 19:30, Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:
> Now we have (at least) the following libraries backported from 3.2+ to
> older versions of Python by members of the core team:
>
> - configparser
> - enum34
> - singledispatch
> - subprocess32
> - unittest2
>
> There are also unofficial backports like billiard (multiprocessing).

Step one is compiling a list. I started a page for that here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/StandardLibraryBackports

(It's reachable from the front page of the wiki via the Useful Modules page)

> I would be happy if all those were more discoverable by the community
> at large. Having a single namespace for backports would be great but
> my spidey sense forebodes large flocks of bike sheds flying that way.
>
> Can we put links to those backports in the docs of older versions of
> Python? Most users would be better off using the updated packages
> while still deploying on an older release of Python.

It's probably better to start with a list anyone can edit, rather than
links that can only be updated by core developers.

Cheers,
Nick.