[Python-Dev] eval and triple quoted strings

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jun 18 00:18:24 CEST 2013

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> No. Executing a file containing those exact characters produces a
> string containing only '\n' and exec/eval is meant to behave the same
> way. The string may not have originated from a file, so the universal
> newlines behavior of the io module is irrelevant here -- the parser
> must implement its own equivalent processing, and it does.

I'm still not convinced that this is necessary or desirable
behaviour. I can understand the parser doing this as a
workaround before we had universal newlines, but now that
we do, I'd expect any Python string to already have newlines
converted to their canonical representation, and that any CRs
it contains are meant to be there. The parser shouldn't need
to do newline translation a second time.

--
Greg