[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 445: Add new APIs to customize Python memory allocators

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Wed Jun 19 17:28:22 CEST 2013

Oh, it should be public, in my opinion.
We do exactly that when we embed python into UnrealEngine.  We keep pythons internal PyObject_Mem allocator, but have it ask UnrealEngine for its arenas.  That way, we can still keep track of python's memory usage from with the larger application, even if the granularity of memory is now on an "arena" level, rather than individual allocs.