[Python-Dev] cpython (2.7): Fix comment blocks. Adjust blocksize to a power-of-two for better divmod

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Mon Jun 24 08:03:14 CEST 2013

2013/6/23 Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Raymond Hettinger
> <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As far as I can tell, none
>> of the participants in this thread has ever previously shown any interest
>> in the deque object.  It is discouraging to have a simple parameter
>> change and struct reordering reverted.  This thread has offered zero
>> support or encouragement for my work.  The python-dev
>> social environment appears to be degrading over time.
>

> FWIW, I was surprised to see Raymond's patch reverted in what looked like a
> knee-jerk reaction.  In my view Raymond through his contributions has earned
> the presumption of validity for his commits.  A risk of introducing
> regressions may ultimately outweigh the benefit of optimization and keeping
> 2.x and 3.x code in sync, but there is no need in rushing the decision.
> This patch could be reverted at any time before the 2.7.6 release which as
> far as I know has not even been scheduled.

The first concern about 5accb0ac8bfb was raised more than a week ago
and more piled up over the course of the week. I knew Raymond wasn't
offline, since he continued to commit. Since we don't have mandatory
reviews before push (which more and more I think we should),
post-facto reviews on python-checkins need to be acknowledged. A
backout is not the end of the world; it takes seconds to reland once a
conclusion has been reached. This incident should not be construed to
diminish Raymond's long history of contribution or his technical
ability.

My second reversion (86d512e0ec66) was knee-jerk and shouldn't have happened.

--
Regards,
Benjamin