[Python-Dev] End of the mystery "@README.txt Mercurial bug"

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 16:24:03 CEST 2013

2013/6/26 Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com>:
> I think that's exactly what's happening.
>
> From the bug report:
>
>         find $(srcdir) '(' -name '*.fdc' -o -name '*~' \
>                            -o -name '[@,#]*' -o -name '*.old' \
>                            -o -name '*.orig' -o -name '*.rej' \
>                            -o -name '*.bak' ')' \
>                            -exec rm -f {} ';'
>
> Will find files beginning with '@' inside subdirectories of $(srcdir)/.hg.

In my opinion, make distclean should only remove files generated by
configure and a build. It should not remove random files.

*~, .orig, .rej, .back should be kept. They are not generated by
configure nor make.

What are these "@*", ",*" and "#*" files? Why does "make distclean" remove them?

"make distclean" removes also the "tags" file which is generated by
the ctags program, useful tool to browse the C source code (ex: in
vim). Why does "make distclean" remove it?

In short, the whole "find ... -exec rm -f {} ';'" command should be
removed from "make distclean". (They are other commands to remove
Makefile, "*.o" files, etc.) If someone really need such cleanup,
another Makefile rule should be added.

Victor