[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Mar 4 23:04:13 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Mar 04, 2013, at 03:40 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:

> >> Shouldn't "testing" be a first order feature?
> >
> >Unfortunately there are so many potential first-order features that
> >we've had to leave some out in order to save time. "How to run the
> >tests" is not something that you need to know when searching PyPI for
> >a distribution and its dependencies.
>
> Although "has unittests that I can run" might be a deciding factor of
> which of
> the many implementations of a particular feature you might choose.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with programmatic package discovery.
That's something you will have to do as a person in making a qualitative
decision along the same lines as API design. Flipping a bit in a config
file saying "I have tests" doesn't say much beyond you flipped a bit, e.g.
no idea on coverage, quality, etc.