[Python-Dev] built-in Python test runner (was: Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda)

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:47:37 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:26:57 -0800
> Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [Splitting into a separate thread]
> >
> > Do we really need to overthink something that requires a trivial alias to
> > set up for one's own convenience?
> >
> > Picking a Python version (as Barry mentions) is just one of the problems.
> > What's wrong with:
> >
> > alias rupytests='python3 -m unittest discover"
> > alias runpytests2='python2 -m unittest discover"
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I love the "discover" option and agree that it should
> > be the recommended way to go - but isn't this largely a documentation
> issue?
>
> I would personally call it a typing issue :-) "python -m unittest
> discover" is just too long.

Command-line options for advanced capabilities can get long, yes. It's not
a reason to add an extra layer, which is extra complexity, IMHO. The user
is free to create his own shortcuts if this is too much typing. Moreover,
many projects already have a way to run "all tests" from their root
directory.

As a case in point, we also have the useful:

$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer

So why not create a new "pyserve" command to reduce the amount of typing?

Eli