[Python-Dev] built-in Python test runner (was: Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 09:25:38 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't care much what that mechanism is, but I think the easiest way
> to get there is to tell people to extend distutils with a test command
> (or use Distribute) and perhaps add such a command in 3.4 that will do
> the unittest discover thingy. I remember looking into zope.testrunner
> hooking into that mechanism as well, but I don't remember what the
> outcome was.

There is no easy way forward at this point in time. There just isn't.
If people want to dispute that claim, please feel free to solve all
the other problems distutils-sig is trying to tackle, so we can pay
attention to this one.

We'll get to this eventually - there are just several other more
important things ahead of it in the queue for packaging and
distribution infrastructure enhancements (and python-dev is not the
group that will solve them).

Regards,
Nick.