[Python-Dev] built-in Python test runner (was: Python Language Summit at PyCon: Agenda)

Holger Krekel holger.krekel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 11:15:28 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2013, at 11:13 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
> wrote:
>
> In principle maybe. Need to talk with the trial developers, nose
> developers, py.test developers etc - to get consensus on a number of
> internal API friction points.
>

> Some of trial's lessons might be also useful for the stdlib going forward,
> given the hope of doing some event-loop stuff in the core.
>
> But, I feel like this might be too much to cover at the language summit;
> there could be a test frameworks summit of its own, of about equivalent
> time and scope, and we'd still have a lot to discuss.
>
> Is there a unit testing SIG someone from Twisted ought to be a member of,
> to represent Trial, and to get consensus on these points going forward?

The testing-in-python list is pretty much where most test tool authors hang
out, see  http://lists.idyll.org/listinfo/testing-in-python

Also, maybe related, i am heading the "tox" effort which many people use to
have a frontend for their testing process, see http://tox.testrun.org -- it
has a somewhat different focus in that it sets up virtualenv and install
test specific dependencies.  However, positional arguments (often used to
select tests) can be configured to be passed on to the test runner of
choice. I was considering extending tox to directly support nose, pytest,
unittest and trial "drivers" and offer a unified (minimal) command line
API.  Am open to collaboration on that.

cheers,
holger