[Python-Dev] Difference in RE between 3.2 and 3.3 (or Aaron Swartz memorial)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:34:10 CET 2013

Hi,

In short, Unicode was rewritten in Python 3.3 for the PEP 393. It's
not surprising that minor details like singleton differ. You should
not use "is" to compare strings in Python, or your program will fail
on other Python implementations (like PyPy, IronPython, or Jython) or
even on a different CPython version.

Anyway, you spotted a missed optimization: it's now "fixed" in Python
3.3 and 3.4 by the following commits. Copy/paste of the CIA IRC bot:

19:30 < irker555> cpython: Victor Stinner 3.3 * 82517:3dd2fa78fb89 /
Objects/unicodeobject.c:
                  _PyUnicode_Writer() now also reuses Unicode
singletons: empty string and latin1
                  single character http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/3dd2fa78fb89
19:30 < irker032> cpython: Victor Stinner default * 82518:fa59a85b373f
/ Objects/unicodeobject.c:
                  (Merge 3.3) _PyUnicode_Writer() now also reuses
Unicode singletons: empty string and
                  latin1 single character
http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/fa59a85b373f

Victor