[Python-Dev] CANNOT Patch 3.x NEWS [was cpython (2.7): Issue #14707: add news entry\

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Mar 12 20:23:30 CET 2013

In article <513F63BB.8060805 at udel.edu>, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:

> I have tried deleting the NEWS file and reverting the deletion.
> hg update does not restore the file as it apparently thinks I actually
> want the uncommitted deletion.

I'm not sure exactly the sequence of events here but chances are you ran
into the "normal" problem of trying to merge a change that modifies
Misc/NEWS.  Unless you are very lucky or careful, merging Misc/NEWS
changes from, say, 3.2 to 3.3 or 3.3 to default seldom works cleanly.
After merging but before committing, you can just revert Misc/NEWS and
then manually re-insert the changes.   The auto-merge of Misc/NEWS is
more often than not useless.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org