[Python-Dev] [PEP 437] A DSL for specifying signatures, annotations and argument converters

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 17:28:26 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
> On 03/16/2013 02:17 AM, Stefan Krah wrote:
>
> Both PEPs were discussed at PyCon.  The state of affairs is that a
> compromise is being worked upon and will be published by Larry in
> a revised PEP.
>

> I've pushed an update to PEP 436, the Argument Clinic PEP.  It's now live on
> python.org.

Thanks for that. A few comments.

* I'm confused by the leading table - is it possible/expected to have
a module declaration, class declaration *and* function declaration in
the same block? If not, it seems more appropriate to have 3 tables, or
else simplify the initial table to omit the declaration details, and
explain the available options later.

* Is it possible to use "module_name.class_name.method_name" when
declaring a function that will be used as a method in a class?

* To match the behaviour of Python functions, function docstrings
should also be optional in Argument Clinic. We'll always include at
least the function prototype, even if no other content is specified.

Cheers,
Nick.