[Python-Dev] Slides from today's parallel/async Python talk

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Mar 19 01:27:33 CET 2013

Hi Trent,

I just started to try to understand the idea and the implications.
Removing almost all of your message since that is already too long
to work with:
The reference is

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-March/124690.html

On 3/14/13 11:45 AM, Trent Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 07:05:41PM -0700, Trent Nelson wrote:
>>      Just posted the slides for those that didn't have the benefit of
>>      attending the language summit today:
>>
>>          https://speakerdeck.com/trent/parallelizing-the-python-interpreter-an-alternate-approach-to-async
>      Someone on /r/python asked if I could elaborate on the "do Y" part
>      of "if we're in a parallel thread, do Y, if not, do X", which I
>      (inadvertently) ended up replying to in detail.  I've included the
>      response below.  (I'll work on converting this into a TL;DR set of
>      slides soon.)
>
>> Can you go into a bit of depth about "X" here?
> That's a huge topic that I'm hoping to tackle ASAP.  The basic premise
> is that parallel 'Context' objects (well, structs) are allocated for
> each parallel thread callback.  The context persists for the lifetime of
> the "parallel work".

<big snip>

> So, the remaining challenge is preventing the use case alluded to
> earlier where someone tries to modify an object that hasn't been "async
> protected".  That's a bit harder.  The idea I've got in mind is to
> instrument the main CPython ceval loop, such that we do these checks as
> part of opcode processing.  That allows us to keep all the logic in the
> one spot and not have to go hacking the internals of every single
> object's C backend to ensure correctness.
>
> Now, that'll probably work to an extent.  I mean, after all, there are
> opcodes for all the things we'd be interested in instrumenting,
> LOAD_GLOBAL, STORE_GLOBAL, SETITEM etc.  What becomes challenging is
> detecting arbitrary mutations via object calls, i.e. how do we know,
> during the ceval loop, that foo.append(x) needs to be treated specially
> if foo is a main-thread object and x is a parallel thread object?
>
> There may be no way to handle that *other* than hacking the internals of
> each object, unfortunately.  So, the viability of this whole approach
> may rest on whether or that's deemed as an acceptable tradeoff (a
> necessary evil, even) to the Python developer community.

This is pretty much my concern:
In order to make this waterproof, as required for CPython, you will quite
likely have to do something on very many objects, and this is hard
to chime into CPython.

> If it's not, then it's unlikely this approach will ever see the light of
> day in CPython.  If that turns out to be the case, then I see this
> project taking the path that Stackless took (forking off and becoming a
> separate interpreter).

We had that discussion quite often for Stackless, and I would love to find
a solution that allows to add special versions and use cases to CPython
in a way that avoids the forking as we did it.

It would be a nice thing if we could come up with a way to keep CPython
in place, but to swap the interpreter out and replace it with a specialized
version, if the application needs it. I wonder to what extent that would be
possible.
What I would like to achieve, after having given up on Stackless integration
is a way to let it piggyback onto CPython that works like an extension
module, although it hat effectively replace larger parts of the interpreter.
I wonder if that might be the superior way to have more flexibility,
without forcing
everything and all go into CPython.
If we can make the interpreter somehow pluggable at runtime, a lot of issues
would become much simpler.

> There's nothing wrong with that; I am really excited about the
> possibilities afforded by this approach, and I'm sure it will pique the
> interest of commercial entities out there that have problems perfectly
> suited to where this pattern excels (shared-nothing, highly concurrent),
> much like the relationship that developed between Stackless and Eve
> Online.

What do you think: does it make sense to think of a framework that
allows to replace the interpreter at runtime, without making normal
CPython really slower?

cheers - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023