[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 03:57:54 CET 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Right.  Ultimately, I think IDLE should be a separate project entirely, but I
> guess there's push back against that too.

The most important feature of IDLE is that it ships with the standard library.
Everyone who clicks on the Windows MSI on the python.org webpage
automatically has IDLE.   That is why I frequently teach Python with IDLE.

If this thread results in IDLE being ripped out of the standard distribution,
then I would likely never use it again.

> JFDI! :)

That is a comment from a person who uses Emacs every day.
For those of us who have to support people with basic installs,
it is essential that they have some Python aware editor on their
machine.   Without IDLE, a shocking number of people would
create Python files using notepad.

Raymond