[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Mar 21 10:20:23 CET 2013

Le Thu, 21 Mar 2013 02:42:33 -0400,
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> a écrit :
> On 3/20/2013 11:54 PM, Eli Bendersky wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
>
> >     Ugly is subjective: by what standard and compared to what?
> >
> > Compared to other existing Python IDEs and shells which are layered
> > on top of modern GUI toolkits that are actively developed to keep
> > with modern standards, unlike Tk which is frozen in the 1990s.
>
> I think being frozen in the late 1990s is better than being frozen in
> the early 1980s, like Command Prompt is. In fact, I think we should
> 'deprecate' the Command Prompt interpreter as the standard
> interactive interpreter and finish polishing and de-glitching IDLE's
> Python Shell, which runs on top of the windowless version of CP with
> a true GUI.

And this may indeed be reasonable under Windows, where the command-line
is a PITA! But the Linux command-line is actually quite very usable
these days, especially if you configure your Python interpreter to use
readline for tab-completion of identifiers (which should be done by
default, see http://bugs.python.org/issue5845).

Regards

Antoine.