[Python-Dev] Simple IDLE issues to commit before Python 2.7.4 release in two weeks on 4/6/2013

Todd Rovito rovitotv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 20:30:59 CET 2013

Python 2.7.4 release candidate was just announced and is ready for testing here:
http://python.org/download/releases/2.7.4/

Now the clock is ticking and we have two weeks to get IDLE issues
pushed into CPython before the final release of 2.7.4.  Below is my
list of low risk issues that would be great to get pushed into
CPython.  I hope this email will encourage CPython Core Developers to
make the commits or tell us what we can do, like more testing or
better documentation, to get these issues cleaned up and committed
before 2.7.4 ships.  PEP-434 is still being discussed, I asked PEP
authors to post latest version on 3/24, but I think most folks agree
with the principle.  IDLE might have more issues that could be fixed
easily so feel free to add to the list.  Thanks for everybody’s hard
work to make IDLE better!!!!!
http://bugs.python.org/issue7136 Idle File Menu Option Improvement
http://bugs.python.org/issue17390 display python version on idle title bar
http://bugs.python.org/issue17511 Idle find function closes after each
find operation
http://bugs.python.org/issue6699 IDLE: Warn user about overwriting a
file that has a newer version on filesystem
http://bugs.python.org/issue10747 Include version info in Windows
shortcuts the issue is for 3.x but perhaps simple to implement for
2.7?

The issue below has been talked about in the recent past on idle-dev
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/idle-dev/2013-March/003228.html) it
will take some work to get committed because of the deletion of the
Option menu on the Mac.  But even if it gets committed then is
disabled for the Mac with a simple sys.platform it would be a huge
victory for IDLE in my mind.
http://bugs.python.org/issue2704 IDLE: Patch to make PyShell behave
more like a Terminal interface