[Python-Dev] Can we triple quoted string as a comment?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 22:16:19 CET 2013

Hi,

I just realized that the Python peephole optimizer removes useless
instructions like numbers and strings between other instructions,
without raising an error nor emiting an error. Example:

$ python -Wd -c 'print "Hello"; "World"'
Hello

As part of my astoptimizer project, I wrote a function to detect such
useless instructions which emit a warning. I opened the following
issue to report what I found:
http://bugs.python.org/issue17516

Different modules use long strings as comments. What is the "official"
policy about such strings? Should we use strings or comments?

(IMO a comment should be used instead.)

Victor