[Python-Dev] Google Summer of Code - Organization Deadline Approaching - March 29

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Mar 28 00:25:29 CET 2013

On 03/26/2013 01:51 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> Just an FYI that there are under 3 days to apply to Google Summer of
> Code for mentoring organizations:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013. The
> student application deadline is later on in May.
>
> If you run a project that is interested in applying under the Python
> umbrella organization, contact Terri Oda at terri at zone12.com

I would obviously love it if you got your ideas up before the March 29th
deadline so our application will totally shine and we'll be accepted
immediately in to the program.

But I should note that while the Google deadline is March 29th, I'm
happy to accept applications for sub-organizations and new project ideas
after that deadline.  The students will be descending on April 9th, so
if you want to attract the very best, try to get your project ideas up
near then if at all possible!  Presuming we get accepted, though, I can
take extra ideas almost up until the student applications start to come
in, but I'd prefer them before April 15th (again, so you can attract the
best students).

> Is anyone here interested in leading CPython through GSOC? Anyone have
> potential students to get involved, or interested in being a mentor?

For those on the fence about mentoring or worried about doing a good
job, I have a few experienced GSoC mentors who are currently without
projects who have volunteered to help us out this year.  I'm happy to
pair anyone who's interested with someone who loves working with GSoC
students but maybe won't be familiar with the project, so you can learn
the mentoring ropes and do code reviews but have a backup mentor there
to help both you and the student through the GSoC process.  Please let
me know ASAP if you'd like to do this so I can introduce you to the
person and give them time to learn as much as they can about the
projects you're hoping to run before students start arriving.

  Terri