[Python-Dev] Destructors and Closing of File Objects

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed May 1 04:09:46 CEST 2013

Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> writes:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Jeff Allen <"ja...py"@farowl.co.uk> wrote:
>> In Jython, (...)
>
> Thanks Jeff for pointing this out.  Jython thus uses a custom
> mechanism similar to PyPy's, which is also similar to atexit's.  It
> should not be too hard to implement it in CPython 3 as well, if this
> ends up classified as a bug.  This is what my bug report was about
> (sorry if I failed to be clear enough about it).

Personally, I think it should just be mentioned in the documentation for
the buffered writers. Otherwise it's hard to justify what deserves such
a special mechanism and what doesn't (what about e.g.
tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile).

> Nikolaus: the bug report contains a failing test, is that what you're
> looking for?

That's what I was trying to write as well, yes. Now I know how to do it
:-)

Best,

   -Nikolaus