[Python-Dev] PEP 428: stat caching undesirable?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed May 1 16:39:58 CEST 2013

I've not got the full context, but I would like to make it *very*
clear in the API (e.g. through naming of the methods) when you are
getting a possibly cached result from stat(), and I would be very
concerned if existing APIs were going to get caching behavior. For
every use cases that benefits from caching there's a complementary use
case that caching breaks. Since both use cases are important we must
offer both APIs, in a way that makes it clear to even the casual
reader of the code what's going on.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)