[Python-Dev] PyPy, Jython, & IronPython: Enum convenience function and pickleablity

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu May 2 23:28:21 CEST 2013

On Thu, 2 May 2013 14:15:40 -0700
Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but I do find the argument "let's not have a convenience syntax
> because enums created with such syntax won't pickle properly from within a
> debugger" not convincing enough :-)

Eli, it would be nice if you stopped with this claim.

I'm not advocating "not having a convenience syntax", I'm advocating
having a convenience syntax which is *class-based* rather than
function-based.

Debuggers are beside the point: there are two kinds of "convenience
syntax" on the table; one allows pickling by construction, one
requires an ugly hack which may not solve all cases (and which may
apparently make Jython / IronPython mildly unhappy). Why you insist
on ignoring the former and imposing the latter is beyond me.

Regards you

Antoine.