[Python-Dev] enum discussion: can someone please summarize open issues?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat May 4 08:53:44 CEST 2013

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> 1. The current PEP, offering only "getattr(MyEnum, name)".
 >
> 2. We restore __getitem__ on EnumMetaclass *solely* for member lookup
> by name

3. Use keyword arguments to distinguish two different
ways of calling the enum class:

    MyEnum(value = 1) --> lookup by value
    MyEnum(name = "foo") --> lookup by name

MyEnum(1) could be made equivalent to MyEnum(value = 1)
if it's thought that lookup by value will be the most
common or natural case.

Pros: Explicit is better than implicit.

Cons: Not so convenient to get a type-conversion function
to pass to other things.

--
Greg