[Python-Dev] PEP 4XX: pyzaa "Improving Python ZIP Application Support"

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat May 4 13:31:51 CEST 2013

On Sat, 04 May 2013 11:41:27 +1000
Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> > Rather than risk obscure bugs, I would suggest restricting the extensions
> > to 3 characters. For the “Windowed Python ZIP Applications” case, could we
> > use .pzw as the extension instead of .pyzw?
>
> I've had Linux systems which associated OpenOffice docs with Archive Manager rather than OpenOffice. It's likely that at least some Linux systems will likewise decide that .pyz files are archives, not Python files, and open them in Archive Manager.

What would that have to do with the file extension? If some Linux
systems decide that .ods and .pyz files are archives, it's probably
because they *are* archives in their own right (though specialized
ones).

Probably the libmagic (used e.g. by the `file` command) wasn't
up-to-date enough to specifically recognize OpenOffice documents, so
it simply recognized the ZIP file structure and detected the file as
such.

Regards

Antoine.