[Python-Dev] PEP 435 - requesting pronouncement

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Sun May 5 16:09:14 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 May 2013 15:04:49 -0700
> Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello pydev,
> >
> > PEP 435 is ready for final review. A lot of the feedback from the last
> few
> > weeks of discussions has been incorporated.
>
> I still would like to see Nick's class-based API preferred over the
> functional API:
>
>    class Season(Enum, members='spring summer autumn'):
>       pass
>
> The PEP doesn't even mention it, even though you got significant
> pushback on the proposed _getframe() hack for pickling (including
> mentions that IronPython and Cython may not support it),

Plenty of points were raised against having this members= API. People
argued ardently both ways .Guido publicly asked to decide in favor of the
functional API, and we added an explicit warning about pickling (which was
lifted from the docs of pickle itself). If you feel this has to be
discussed further, please open a new thread. I don't want another 100
bikeshedding emails to go into this one.

We'll mention this as a considered alternative in the PEP, though.

> and nobody
> seemed to be unhappy with the class-based proposal.

Not true, as you see.

Eli