[Python-Dev] PEP 435: pickling enums created with the functional API

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 8 12:29:29 CEST 2013

On 8 May 2013 01:26, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Le Wed, 8 May 2013 01:03:38 +1000,
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > What if there was a variant of the class statement that bound the
> > result of a function call rather than using the normal syntax:
> >
> >     class Animal from enum.Enum(members="dog cat bear")
>
> Apparently you're trying hard to invent syntaxes just to avoid
> subclassing.

Yeah, just accepting an auto-numbered "members" arg still seems cleaner to
me. If we decouple autonumbering from using the functional API, then the
rules for pickle support are simple:
* use the class syntax; or
* pass a fully qualified name.

The fragile getframe hack should not be propagated beyond namedtuple.

Cheers,
Nick.

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com