[Python-Dev] Best practices for Enum

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Mon May 13 05:26:39 CEST 2013

Thanks for the insights, Raymond. I don't think anyone is planning on
rushing anything. We still have to get the enum module itself committed and
a serious review process has just started for that, so it will take time.

There's no general "let's replace all constants with enums" TODO item that
I know of. It's my hope that such changes will happen very gradually and
only when deemed important and useful by core developers. So it's not
different from any other changes made in the Python repository, really.
Issues will be opened, discussed, code will be reviewed by whomever is
willing to participate.

IIRC Guido wanted to have a printable representation for the socket module
constants like socket.AF_* and socket.SOCK_* because that would be useful
in developing Tulip. Implementing those with IntEnum may be a relatively
non-controversial first foray into actually putting enums to use. But
again, at least as far as I'm concerned there's no concrete todo list at
this point.

Eli