[Python-Dev] Best practices for Enum

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon May 13 17:38:45 CEST 2013

On 05/13/2013 12:06 AM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> Ethan's email suggests that against my advice he is in-fact going to go through the standard library, applying enums
> quite broadly.

I think you are falling victim to Wizard's First Rule: people will believe what they want to be true, or are afraid is true.

What I said was

> I'd like to apply them where it makes sense.

Which does not mean quite broadly, unless you think it would make sense to have them everywhere?  Because that's not the
impression I have from your posts.

Furthermore, what's wrong with going through the stdlib, examining the various modules, and then asking questions to see
if, indeed, it does "make sense" to use enums in that module?  How else will I know?  Are you going to give me list of
which ones are acceptable?

I don't know you well enough to guess at your motivations for misrepresenting me, but please stop.  If you have a
question, ask me.

--
~Ethan~