[Python-Dev] Best practices for Enum

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue May 14 14:08:15 CEST 2013

On 14/05/13 16:51, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
[...]
> This sounds like a feature request for doctest.  doctest could be educated
> about enums and automatically compare to the integer value for such cases.

Please no. Enums are not special enough to break the rules.

Good: "Doctests look at the object's repr."

Bad: "Doctests look at an object's repr, unless the object is an Enum, when it will look at the enum's value."

If I want a test that checks the enum's value, then I will write a doctest that explicitly checks the enum's value.

--
Steven