[Python-Dev] How to debug python crashes

Philippe Fremy phil at freehackers.org
Tue May 14 14:32:27 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have a reproducable crash on Windows XP with Python 2.7 which I would
like to investigate. I have Visual Studio 2008 installed and I
downloaded the pdb files. However I could not find any instructions on
how to use them and was unsuccessful at getting anything out of it.

I checked the developer guide but could not find anything on debugging
crashes. On internet, this seems to be also an underdocumented topic.

So, a few questions :
- is there some documentation to help debugging crashes ?
- are the pdb files released along python usable with Visual Studio and
stock Python ? Or do you need a hand-compiled version ?

cheers,

Philippe