[Python-Dev] Pickling failure on Enums

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue May 14 22:09:16 CEST 2013

On 05/13/2013 11:32 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> But now you enter a different phase of your project, or one of your collaborators does, or perhaps you've released your code on PyPI and one of your users does.  So someone tries to pickle some class instance that happens to contain an unpicklable enum.  That's not a great experience.  Pickling and unpickling errors are often remarkably hard to debug.  (Especially the latter, so I have privately admonished Ethan to ensure that if the getframe hack doesn't work, the pickle failure should happen at pickling time, not at unpickle time.)

I can get pickle failure on members created using the functional syntax with no module set; I cannot get pickle failure
on those same classes; I cannot get pickle failure on class syntax enums that inherit complex types (such as the NEI
class in the tests).

If anybody has any insight on how to make that work, I'm all ears.

--
~Ethan~