[Python-Dev] Purpose of Doctests [Was: Best practices for Enum]

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 19 13:49:19 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> nicer repr" is worth "Sorry, I broke your tests, made your published
> examples
> out of date, and slowed down your code."

While the first two considerations are always potentially applicable
when using enums, the latter should only be true for code that uses
str() and repr() a lot. For other operations, int-based enums
shouldn't add any more overhead than namedtuple does for tuples.

I agree with basically everything you said, but I don't want "enums
are slower than normal integers" to become a meme - there really
shouldn't be a speed difference for any arithmetic operations when
using IntEnum.

Cheers,
Nick.